Ice sculptures are totally fascinating. They last only for a few hours, but while they are there, you can’t help but be amazed with its glory. They look stunning especially if they look exactly like the object being mimicked.
Ice sculptures are usually carved from large blocks of ice. They usually weigh around 300 pounds or more, depending on the item being carved. There are different ice molds available and they are usually ready for carving. There are molds that can be used again for future carvings while others can only be used once.
It takes several hours for a sculptor to finish the masterpiece. There are different factors affecting the results. This includes the complexity of the design and the intricacy of the details.
Are chainsaws used?
You might think that chainsaws are generally not used for carving. The first thing that comes into your mind when it comes to chainsaws is that they are for destroying items or cutting them. The truth is that they are also used for carving. Sculptors have to be extremely careful though. Chainsaws are powerful and they can totally break the design if not used properly. There are sculptures that are carved using machines, but they usually cost a lot. For sculptors manually pounding the blocks of ice to see the best results, electric chainsaws are preferred. They are lighter and more powerful. They are perfect for sculpting blocks of ice. It takes a lot of time though to master its use. You have to be extremely cautious so as not to break the ice of stray away from the original design. If you are interested, you might want to check out electric chainsaw reviews and give it a shot.
Accuracy of the sculpture
You might also wonder how come the results are amazing. They usually look like the object being copied. A CNC machine is used so that the results are totally accurate. Of course, this is used by those who have sophisticated skills in ice sculpting. This is why the replicas look exactly as the original piece. Despite the use of the machines, the rest are done by manual labor. Sometimes, the parts are created using different sections to see more accurate results. This also hastens the process. Otherwise, it would take a really long time for it to be done. Of course, ice does not last long so everything has to be done really quickly. If you are interested in trying it out, you just can’t rely on the machine to do the job.
Ice sculptures for different occasions
These ice sculptures are now an asset for different events. This includes weddings, anniversaries, conferences, galas and dinners. They make everything look more fascinating. They spruce up the ordinary look of the event. Ice sculptures will most likely become staple in future big events. You can practice using electric chainsaws and other sculpting materials should you wish to learn the skill and even make money out of it.
Also read: Top 10 Landscape Gardening Tips for 2016
Trends in landscape gardening vary year in, year out. But there are aspects in landscape gardening that remain constant, like mowing (if you don’t have a lawnmower, mower reviews can help you in picking one) and how careful planning can boost the curb appeal and the interest factor of your lawn. The smart use of points of interest, functionality, texture and color is what dictates landscape design trends.
Top 10 tips for landscape gardening for 2016
- Space is at premium, but with careful planning you’ll be able to maximize every part of your lawn or garden. Make the area more functional with outdoor seating, a fire pit and a cooking area. Make whatever space you have provide the right ambiance by filling gaps with potted plants.
- Grow more plants and vegetables using a vertical garden if you do not have a large space. Position trellises along planters and borders so you can have climbing vegetables and flowering vines. Add shelves to a garden fence or wall to hold plant containers.
- Use color structures to increase your garden’s interest level and make your entire area more attractive. This means painting your walls, fences and even your house exterior. Black is huge in Europe, while in the U.S. dark green, dark charcoal gray and navy blue provide a great foil for every color in the garden.
- Subtle color ranges are in. While a profusion of colors makes a garden very attractive and lively, designers now appreciate a more subtle effect, such as a one-color garden. Details are important, like the texture of a stone wall, the delicate and intricate branching of bare shrubs and plants or an interestingly-patterned edging.
- Consider container-gardening techniques and create a small-scale landscape with each. You might also consider the merits of indoor gardening and moving some of your plants on to your patio. Learn companion planting and find flowering plants and vegetables that can be grown together such as petunias and peppers; pot marigold and asparagus; beans and nasturtium and rosemary; or onions and chamomile. Plant them in containers and treat the vegetables as foliage.
- Whether you are planning a classic traditional, modern farmhouse or contemporary landscape design, make heavy use of native species of traditional ornamental plants.
- Create an outdoor experience to extend the season. You can do this with outdoor entertaining options such as a fire pit, a fireplace or outdoor furniture from natural materials.
- If your area allows it, your container for rain water collection can be used as a water feature in your garden.
- Use lighting schemes with LED lights. Choosing those with warmer colors and controllers, you can vary the brightness and dimness of your lights. Use different schemes to change the ambiance and put emphasis on parts of your garden or your plants. Softer tones will highlight various plant materials, while some trees will have deeper tones when lit with green or blue colored lights.
- Construct a berm to bring life into a corner of the garden, which is often forgotten during landscaping. It will add color and texture to a flat garden and add pizazz to monotonous corners.
Attractive landscaping need not be expensive. Carefully choosing what to put into your garden will increase its appeal and value.
Also read: The New Design For The Olympics Stadium At Tokyo – Unveiled
Home interiors constantly change and it is hard to keep up with the latest designs and styles for your home. Unless you have the budget, renovations and interior updates are not that easy to do. Most homeowners who want to at least update their home styles usually purchase bits and pieces, look through design trends to see what will work together with the existing interior and items in their home.
While it may cost you dearly to change the total look of your home interior, you can choose one room in your home to update, for example your bedroom. This is where you spend time to relax, recharge and think. It’s your own personal space, so it is a good place to start. Then you can purchase a few chosen items for the other rooms in your home or just do some changes, like the following:
- Two-tone kitchen cabinets are in. You can retain the main colour of your kitchen cabinets and repaint the others in complimentary or contrasting colour. You can also strip the paint off some cabinets to show the beauty of the wood underneath.
- Update your living room with plenty of contrasting colours for your seat cushions and throw pillows. This will change the look, without you spending that much.
- If you have the space and you are thinking of adding something to your kitchen, think of adding a workhorse island. It will provide you with extra workspace, deep storage cabinets and a new place to seat and eat informally and quickly.
- Do not forget your bathrooms. If you can afford it, large tiles are in. If you do not have the budget now, invest in some statement mirrors. They can be ornate vintage, modern ones with backlighting or beautiful ones framed in handsome wood finish.
- You can also change the look of your bedroom and turn it into a perfect personal space. You can change the colour of the wall with paint. You can go Scandinavian, which advocates simplicity, in various shades of white and grey, including the linens for your bed, pillows and area rugs. You do not have to change your bed but you can never go wrong with investing in the best foam mattress.
- Go gaga with reclaimed wood platform bed. It looks so gorgeous, adding a rustic charm to a modern bedroom. It gives you plenty of additional storage space, places to sit and chance to use simple linens, instead of going for something extravagant.
- If you are after shabby chic, add a DIY headboard to your existing bed. It can double up as extra storage space for books, magazines and other items you want within easy reach. Partner it with patchwork bed cover and colourful pillow cases.
- If your bed is in a corner of your bedroom, have an L-shaped padded headboard, which will update the look of your bed. It will give you some cushioned protection so you do not bang your head of the wall. Accessorize your bed with several throw pillows in colour-coordinated or contrasting plain and patterned pillow covers.
You do not have to spend that much even if you want to follow the hottest trends in home décor. Choose a few select pieces, learn to upgrade and coordinate and your home will have a totally different and fresher look.
Also see: Plans For The Tallest Skyscraper In London Unveiled
Popular architect Eric Perry has revealed his plans for the tallest skyscraper in London. It is to be located at the heart of the financial district right between the two well-known buildings, the Gherkin and Cheesegrater. After coming up with several out-of-the-box designs, the architect has come up with a more regular design for the tallest skyscraper. The building is named as 1 Undershaft and it will occupy prime commercial property in one of the thickly covered districts in central London.
The building will occupy 1 square footprint and will hold 73 storeys, shooting majestically into the sky. It will offer office space for some of the top businesses in the metropolitan city. The shaft of the proposed building is slender and white girdles that criss-cross all over to the top. So when looks up at the building from the street, one can view a huge obelisk, which is uniform throughout.
Architect Perry also revealed that the building will be of the same height as the other tall skyscraper, the Shard. It is to be mentioned that the Shard reaches the maximum height allowed. It is to be noted that the architect, in an earlier press conference for the release of his new book mentioned his disdain for tall buildings. He had said that tall skyscrapers are sure to take away the quintessential charm of London. He stated that he firmly believed that the charm of London lay in the stone buildings of an era gone by.
So today when he made the announcement of the new building, he reiterated his loathing for the mass of grey-green buildings dotting the skyline of London. He further explained that their new building will have both the beauty of dust red colour signifying autumn and pure white signifying spring.
With its rather utilitarian design, 1undershaft is similar to the other skyscrapers you would generally find in New York or Chicago. However, the architect has given it his touch, with a rather prissy outer design that reflects in its colour choices.
Related Article: The New Design For The Olympics Stadium At Tokyo – Unveiled
The Olympics stadium for the 2020 games to be held at Tokyo was shaky right from the beginning. The initial design proposed by Zaha Hadid has been scrapped. The design which was planned to be constructed among the low-rise buildings, in Meiji Park, Tokyo received harsh criticism from all sides. With over exceeding budgets to flaws in the integration of the design in the surroundings, the problems were manifold. The initial design was compared to everything from a futuristic alien control centre to a bike helmet. Now, the Japan Sports Council located in Tokyo has unveiled the structure of the new design.
After the unpopular design by Zaha Hadid, the two new designs are now in the spotlight. The first of these designs for the stadium resembles a fried egg, with a runny fluid roof in the middle. The second takes on a more utilitarian approach and closely resembles a stack of plates, with bits of green poking between the plates.
Both these designs are hugely cheaper when compared to the initial design proposed by the popular architect Zaha Hadid. However, these two designs are more in tune with the surrounding environs and are aimed to be greener and more sustainable. They rely on the use of natural wood like bamboo and give an airy feel, letting in plenty of natural sunlight. The two designs have been released anonymously by the sports councils of Tokyo, however, speculations are strife that they are the designs of popular Japanese architects, Toyo Ito and Kengo Kuma.
The designs have been named as design A and design B and are both titled as stadiums in a forest. They both have done away with the complex steel arches of the earlier design. Instead, rely on indigenous Japanese architecture to help them be integrated into the theme.
Related Article: Art Exhibition To Explore The History Of The British Isles
Popular children’s book author, Liz Pichon is to hold an art exhibition covering the most important moments in the last 950 years of British History. Liz is the author of the widely popular, Tom Gates series for children. The book explores the life of the kid Tom Gates through doodles on his textbooks. She has won several awards and accolades for her series all over the world.
This exhibition is a collection of her drawings and aims to inspire and enlighten children on the history of the British Islands. The events were chosen by a survey among school going children all over the country. The events will be presented in the form of a Bayeux Tapestry. The events depicted start with the Norman Invasion in the year 1066. The final event in the timeline ends with the invention of the life-changing World Wide Web by Tim Berners-Lee in the year 1989.
By roping in Liz Pichon, the committee behind the organisation of this exhibition is hoping to get children interested in their national history. The author says that the artworks will be interactive just like her books. Children selected from a national wide competition will help to complete the last panel in each of these artworks. She also added that her greatest difficulty was trying to maintain a balance between the humour and tragedy in each of these events.
Related Article: Free Standing Sky Pool Bridge Between Apartment Blocks
The River Thames, that winds its course along London, has always been a place to inspire romanticism. Several architects have come up with their own unique and innovative design ideas for bridges across the river. The latest in the series is a garden bridge along the river. This garden bridge is an ambitious project that aims to provide a haven of relaxation and serenity among the urban chaos. The garden bridge is sure to offer something for everyone from people who are looking for a place to relax, or runners who can run amidst greenery right in the heart of the city.
The bridge is planned to be constructed by 2018. It spans across the river from the South Bank to Temple. It contains two copper structures that hold up the bridge. The designer behind the project is Thomas Heatherwick who is very excited about the attention and the funds the bridge has garnered. The bridge is a mix of both gothic and futuristic elements all at once. It promises a piece of tranquillity to each and every Londoner amidst all the concrete chaos that seems to dominate the city’s skyline of late.
Once constructed the bridge is expected to attract millions of visitors in a year. It is based on the principle of guerrilla gardening to give a more realistic view of nature.
Ballymore, the popular Irish developer has unveiled his plans to develop a sky pool that spans between two apartment complexes. This project is solely aimed at the foreign investor who plans to expand his portfolio. The project aims to build a totally glass-encased pool bridge at a height of 10 storeys. This pool bridge is planned to be constructed between two apartment blocks in Nine Elms.
The project is the brainchild of the developer of Sean Mulryan, who has always attracted media attention with his outlandish design ideas in his projects. He said that the design for the pool was a result of his passion for exploring the bounds of construction and engineering. The proposed pool is a free-standing structure made entirely of glass. The residents will be able to look at the street life below them as they indulge in their daily morning dip. The view of the American Embassy’s new building from the pool is advertised as a big factor for the sale of the apartment complexes.
These ultra-rich developments are located in one of London’s most posh and secure residential zones just next to the American Embassy. It is specifically constructed for the rich oligarchs who will rarely spend time at their apartment. Several critics have questioned the design choice, saying it would become the world’s highest slimy green pond, high in the sky. Also, there have been concerns regarding terrorist attacks and the sky pool one more attraction for terrorists to target.
While there is strife among buying agents for the rich, if these complexes would see any takers, the property developers are all out promoting these buildings as the ultimate symbol of opulence. With extra features like indoor heated pools, parks, courts, home theatres, these buildings are a sign of ultimate luxury and indulgence.