Home interiors constantly change and it is hard to keep up with the latest designs and styles for your home. Unless you have the budget, renovations and interior updates are not that easy to do. Most homeowners who want to at least update their home styles usually purchase bits and pieces, look through design trends to see what will work together with the existing interior and items in their home.
While it may cost you dearly to change the total look of your home interior, you can choose one room in your home to update, for example your bedroom. This is where you spend time to relax, recharge and think. It’s your own personal space, so it is a good place to start. Then you can purchase a few chosen items for the other rooms in your home or just do some changes, like the following:
- Two-tone kitchen cabinets are in. You can retain the main colour of your kitchen cabinets and repaint the others in complimentary or contrasting colour. You can also strip the paint off some cabinets to show the beauty of the wood underneath.
- Update your living room with plenty of contrasting colours for your seat cushions and throw pillows. This will change the look, without you spending that much.
- If you have the space and you are thinking of adding something to your kitchen, think of adding a workhorse island. It will provide you with extra workspace, deep storage cabinets and a new place to seat and eat informally and quickly.
- Do not forget your bathrooms. If you can afford it, large tiles are in. If you do not have the budget now, invest in some statement mirrors. They can be ornate vintage, modern ones with backlighting or beautiful ones framed in handsome wood finish.
- You can also change the look of your bedroom and turn it into a perfect personal space. You can change the colour of the wall with paint. You can go Scandinavian, which advocates simplicity, in various shades of white and grey, including the linens for your bed, pillows and area rugs. You do not have to change your bed but you can never go wrong with investing in the best foam mattress.
- Go gaga with reclaimed wood platform bed. It looks so gorgeous, adding a rustic charm to a modern bedroom. It gives you plenty of additional storage space, places to sit and chance to use simple linens, instead of going for something extravagant.
- If you are after shabby chic, add a DIY headboard to your existing bed. It can double up as extra storage space for books, magazines and other items you want within easy reach. Partner it with patchwork bed cover and colourful pillow cases.
- If your bed is in a corner of your bedroom, have an L-shaped padded headboard, which will update the look of your bed. It will give you some cushioned protection so you do not bang your head of the wall. Accessorize your bed with several throw pillows in colour-coordinated or contrasting plain and patterned pillow covers.
You do not have to spend that much even if you want to follow the hottest trends in home décor. Choose a few select pieces, learn to upgrade and coordinate and your home will have a totally different and fresher look.
Also see: Plans For The Tallest Skyscraper In London Unveiled
Popular architect Eric Perry has revealed his plans for the tallest skyscraper in London. It is to be located at the heart of the financial district right between the two well-known buildings, the Gherkin and Cheesegrater. After coming up with several out-of-the-box designs, the architect has come up with a more regular design for the tallest skyscraper. The building is named as 1 Undershaft and it will occupy prime commercial property in one of the thickly covered districts in central London.
The building will occupy 1 square footprint and will hold 73 storeys, shooting majestically into the sky. It will offer office space for some of the top businesses in the metropolitan city. The shaft of the proposed building is slender and white girdles that criss-cross all over to the top. So when looks up at the building from the street, one can view a huge obelisk, which is uniform throughout.
Architect Perry also revealed that the building will be of the same height as the other tall skyscraper, the Shard. It is to be mentioned that the Shard reaches the maximum height allowed. It is to be noted that the architect, in an earlier press conference for the release of his new book mentioned his disdain for tall buildings. He had said that tall skyscrapers are sure to take away the quintessential charm of London. He stated that he firmly believed that the charm of London lay in the stone buildings of an era gone by.
So today when he made the announcement of the new building, he reiterated his loathing for the mass of grey-green buildings dotting the skyline of London. He further explained that their new building will have both the beauty of dust red colour signifying autumn and pure white signifying spring.
With its rather utilitarian design, 1undershaft is similar to the other skyscrapers you would generally find in New York or Chicago. However, the architect has given it his touch, with a rather prissy outer design that reflects in its colour choices.
Related Article: The New Design For The Olympics Stadium At Tokyo – Unveiled
The Olympics stadium for the 2020 games to be held at Tokyo was shaky right from the beginning. The initial design proposed by Zaha Hadid has been scrapped. The design which was planned to be constructed among the low-rise buildings, in Meiji Park, Tokyo received harsh criticism from all sides. With over exceeding budgets to flaws in the integration of the design in the surroundings, the problems were manifold. The initial design was compared to everything from a futuristic alien control centre to a bike helmet. Now, the Japan Sports Council located in Tokyo has unveiled the structure of the new design.
After the unpopular design by Zaha Hadid, the two new designs are now in the spotlight. The first of these designs for the stadium resembles a fried egg, with a runny fluid roof in the middle. The second takes on a more utilitarian approach and closely resembles a stack of plates, with bits of green poking between the plates.
Both these designs are hugely cheaper when compared to the initial design proposed by the popular architect Zaha Hadid. However, these two designs are more in tune with the surrounding environs and are aimed to be greener and more sustainable. They rely on the use of natural wood like bamboo and give an airy feel, letting in plenty of natural sunlight. The two designs have been released anonymously by the sports councils of Tokyo, however, speculations are strife that they are the designs of popular Japanese architects, Toyo Ito and Kengo Kuma.
The designs have been named as design A and design B and are both titled as stadiums in a forest. They both have done away with the complex steel arches of the earlier design. Instead, rely on indigenous Japanese architecture to help them be integrated into the theme.
Related Article: Art Exhibition To Explore The History Of The British Isles
Popular children’s book author, Liz Pichon is to hold an art exhibition covering the most important moments in the last 950 years of British History. Liz is the author of the widely popular, Tom Gates series for children. The book explores the life of the kid Tom Gates through doodles on his textbooks. She has won several awards and accolades for her series all over the world.
This exhibition is a collection of her drawings and aims to inspire and enlighten children on the history of the British Islands. The events were chosen by a survey among school going children all over the country. The events will be presented in the form of a Bayeux Tapestry. The events depicted start with the Norman Invasion in the year 1066. The final event in the timeline ends with the invention of the life-changing World Wide Web by Tim Berners-Lee in the year 1989.
By roping in Liz Pichon, the committee behind the organisation of this exhibition is hoping to get children interested in their national history. The author says that the artworks will be interactive just like her books. Children selected from a national wide competition will help to complete the last panel in each of these artworks. She also added that her greatest difficulty was trying to maintain a balance between the humour and tragedy in each of these events.
Related Article: Free Standing Sky Pool Bridge Between Apartment Blocks